"To preserve the reputation of the Fraternity unsullied must be your constant care."

BE A FREEMASON

Sunday, July 08, 2012

Illustrious Brother Ernest Borgnine 33° R.I.P.

Illustrious Brother Ernest Borgnine 33° passed to the celestial lodge today at the age of 95.

From ABC News:

Ernest Borgnine, the beefy screen star known for blustery, often villainous roles, but who won the best-actor Oscar for playing against type as a lovesick butcher in "Marty" in 1955, died Sunday. He was 95.

His longtime spokesman, Harry Flynn, told The Associated Press that Borgnine died of renal failure at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center with his wife and children at his side.

Brother Borgnine was a member of Hollywood Lodge No. 355, and a 33rd° Scottish Rite Mason in the Southern Masonic Jurisdiction. In 2000, he received his 50-year pin as a Freemason in Abingdon Lodge No. 48, Abingdon, Virginia. He joined the Scottish Rite Valley of Los Angeles in 1964, received the KCCH in 1979, was coroneted a 33° Inspector General Honorary in 1983, and received the Grand Cross of the Court of Honour in 1991.

8 comments:

  1. Brother Borgnine was a credit to the craft and an example for all of us to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brother Ernest, may you rest in peace forever. Your Sister Hillary Cohan, PM.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brother Bognine, may you rest in peace. Your Sister, Hillary Cohan, PM, Frederick Chapter #79, Frederick, MD

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the honor of meeting Brother Borgnine. We spoke fondly of our shared home-state (connecticut) and he treated me the way any other brother should treat someone. He was ernest, honest, sweet and so very cheerful.

    He was so happy to hear that my favorite memory of him was from the Cult Classic "Escape From New York".

    After our brief chat about Connecticut, I quietly said "I can't believe I Just met Cabbie (his character from Escape From New York)" and he said something to the effect of "you met the real thing, brother stimpson (my last name)".

    I almost forgot he was a member. His talent is legendary and underrated. I was so honored to have met him and to have called him brother.

    He'll be missed.

    -Seamus
    (Columbia Lodge No. 91, GL of F&AM PA & Madison Lodge No. 87, GL of AF&AM CT)

    ReplyDelete
  5. December 1, 2010, on the occasion of the Grand Lodge of Pennsylvania's Benjamin Franklin Award presented to Bro. Ernest Borgnine. (edited audio)
    http://www.ctfreemasons.net/images/stories/simon/borgnine%20.mp3

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brother Borgnine (Ernie) was a credit to masonry and the void he leaves will never be filled. It was my honor to have called him friend.

    Buck Crocker 32° KCCH
    Scottish Rite Bodies; Norfolk, VA

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a big fan of Brother Ernest growing up. I always wanted to meet him, being from Connecticut myself. I was too young to have met him but am proud to say I now am a member of the same amazing fraternal family as him. From those who knew him I have heard of what a fantastic man and Mason he was.

    Nick G Heser
    Union 31 CT
    Valley of Norwich CT SR NMJ

    ReplyDelete
  8. Rest in peace Dad Ernest Bornigne from a Demolay of Philippines, a fan of the tv show in 80's airwolf

    ReplyDelete

ATTENTION!
SIGN YOUR NAME OR OTHERWISE IDENTIFY YOURSELF IN YOUR COMMENT POSTS IF YOU DO NOT HAVE A GOOGLE ACCOUNT.
Your comments will not appear immediately because I am forced to laboriously screen every post. I'm constantly bombarded with spam. Depending on the comments being made, anonymous postings on Masonic topics may be regarded with the same status as cowans and eavesdroppers, as far as I am concerned. If you post with an unknown or anonymous account, do not automatically expect to see your comment appear.